Qualified Picks – 6/10/2010
The sportsbook standings stay the same after last week’s predictions. StevieY was the only one who got both games right, as he was the only one who foresaw the Flyers winning Game 4. This week we check out a new avenue for your online sports betting - the World Cup! It really is something that you should be excited about even if you don’t know a lot about soccer.
6/10 Game 4 NBA Finals La Lakers @ Boston Celtics (Lakers lead series 2-1) – 8 PM
- StevieY19 (29-17) Celtics over Lakers: The Stern Rules trump the star factor. Too obvious if Boston wins down 3-1, so this will be the Celtics’ game.
- His Jesusness Shuttlesworth (15-11) Celtics over Lakers: “I didn’t shoot bad, the ball just didn’t go in”- Ray Allen
- South Side Sheik (24-22) Celtics over Lakers: This will be a back and forth series. It’s just too hard for one team to put a streak together in this series. I don’t see the Lakers winning two in a row in Boston, and Ray Allen can’t lay another stink bomb like he did in Game 3.
- Player to be Named Later (10-10) Celtics over Lakers: The Lakers are the better team. I know they are, and they are going to win the series. However, they will not win Game 4. Fisher won’t play as good as he did in Game 3, and Ray Allen won’t play as poorly as he did. It’s tough to win 2 in a row on the road, so Boston takes this one.
- Stormin Norman (23-23) Lakers over Celtics: The Lake show won a huge game on the road despite a great performance from KG. Ray Allen was 0-13 and I don’t think we will see that again, but even with him shooting well and playing at home, the Lakers are just too good and they won’t have many more bad games like they did in game 2 and 3.
- StevieY19 (29-17) USA over England: I think this game is going to be a draw, but that’s no fun. Our defense sucks? So does England’s. They’ve given up a goal in every international match they’ve played since qualifying. The forwards for the US could not be more hot coming into the tournament either. England may have the advantage up top with Rooney, but the US has a decided advantage in goal. 3-2 USA.
- His Jesusness Shuttlesworth (15-11) England over USA: The US is fielding its worst cup team we’ve seen in over a decade. They’re in a fairly easy group and they should still make it out, but beating England? Forget about it. They don’t have the offensive firepower and their defense is weaker than ever with Onyewu at half-strength. Too many holes to beat a cup favorite in the Brits.
- South Side Sheik (24-22) USA over England: I think the Americans will have the edge in conditioning, as most of the Brits have had to slog through a grueling Premiership, Champions League and/or Europa Cup schedule that has led Fabio Capello to rest his players a great deal in the lead up to the World Cup. So long as the Americans can weather the first half and limit the chances for Rooney, they should be able to run at the British defense (sans Rio Ferdinand) and create with some fresh legs up top (Buddle, Findley, Gomez).
- Player to be Named Later (10-10) England over USA: It pains me to pick against our boys, it really does. Like StevieY, I think that this game will end in a draw. However, if I am forced to pick a winner I will take England. This team is full of superstars who have enough talent to win the whole Cup. Which ever team wins this game they will be in a great position to win the Group.
- Stormin Norman (23-23) USA over England: Soccer? I’m not even going to pretend to know anything about this. As usual, I will take the home team. Landon Donovan is a guy, right? Is Beckham on England? Is soccer like foosball but on grass instead of a table? Hopefully I’ll have read more previews before we have to pick the next soccer match so I can make an informed pick.
Lollapalooza SOTW – An awesome band called The Black Keys – “Tighten Up” Dig it.