Opening Day Thoughts
Opening day was just as amazing as I thought it would be. Here’s a few things that jumped out at me from the Cubs game and around the league.
- Soriano had a great game, launching the second pitch into the stands. Maybe this guy will be okay hitting leadoff.
- 2-3-4 (Fukudome, Lee, Bradley) in the order looked terrible, going a combined 0-9 with a walk.
- Fontenot looks amazing, he made great contact all day and it showed with a 3 for 4 performance. Mark DeWho?
- My personal “Bradley Injury Scare” count is up to 2 already. He rolled his ankle trotting to first base and he misplayed a ball in the outfield terribly and came crashing down on his shoulder/head. Take deep breaths Cubs fans.
- Soto threw someone out! (barely)
- Zambrano didn’t throw a perfect game, but he looked very good. Heilman came in and got a big double-play. Marmol’s slider looked filthy. Gregg made things a little bumpy, but got the save. Someone told me Gregg is a “fly-ball” pitcher. I’m sure that will be fun to watch all season. (“Honey! Get my heart medicine!”)
- Did Fukudome work on his swing at all this off-season? He was flailing at garbage and hitting weak grounders.
- Ramirez hit a bomb and was grinning ear-to-ear in the dugout afterwards.
Around the League
- The White Sox may have set the record for “Best Weather to Cancel a Game in”.
- It looks like K-Rod will be handling the New York media just fine. Especially if he keeps throwing those filthy pitches.
- What’s with aces getting lit up yesterday? Cliff Lee, Brandon Webb and (gulp) C.C. Sabathia all looked terrible.
- Ok so some nobody named Emilio Bonifacio went 4-5 with a HR and 3 steals for the Marlins yesterday. How the f#$% was this guy already picked up in my fantasy league by 6 pm?
- Who would have thought the Seattle-Minnesota game would be interesting? Not only did Felix Hernandez dominate, but Griffey hit a home run. For Seattle. I love that he’s back in Seattle, that swing somehow looks even sweeter in an M’s jersey. I feel like its 1998. Let’s go play Super Nintendo while mom makes us some pizza rolls.
- The Tigers have some serious pitching issues.
- Speaking of pitching issues, what’s the deal in Oakland? The only guy I’ve heard of is Dana Eveland, but is he even that good? Some guy named Braden pitched for them yesterday, and he looked okay I guess.
- The NY Times are picking the Royals to win the AL Central. God that division sucks.